Wednesday 6 June 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and The Huntsman (#1)


Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth

I enjoyed this movie quite a lot. There were interesting twists in the plot, interpreteations of the fairytale that I wouldn't have thought of.

The setting was very twilighty. Everything was dark, except for the snow scenes, when it was white, obviously. All the trees and mountains were exactly like those in twilight, and the gothic atmosphere was almost the same. The dresses were beautiful, and the queen's hairdoes were so impossibly lovely! I didn't like how they were almost always covered with mud or dirty. I always say that during the Middle Ages everyone- except for the nobility- wore brown, and the stylist in this movie seems to agree with me.






Kristen was absolutely beautiful. Black hair really suits her, and the contrast it makes with her pale, flawless skin. I envy it! What shocked me about her appearace was her eyes. In Twilight she had brown lenses on, so we didn't get to see how her eyes were like in reality. Here, she wore none, and her green-blue eyes were simply amazing. She played her part beautifully, but to me she will always be the sad, depressed Bella (whom I love, don't get me wrong). When she bit the apple and was dying, I thought of the time when James bit her in Twilight. And when she was dead, laying down and wearing a white gown, I had the feeling that any moment she would open her eyes and they would be red, like in the end of Breaking Dawn Part 1. I loved the part when she gave this little pep-talk to all the men, telling them to fight with her. She sounded like she had eaten all of Shakespeare's works, all she used were long and ancient words with weird grammar. It was so good!


Chris Hemsworth, who played the Huntsman, was totally gorgeous.There were times when he looked at the horizon when he got the same expression of his brother, Liam Hemsworth, and I thought of Gale in The Hunger Games all the time. At the beginning I didn't like his character, because he was always drunk and trying to take Snow White to the queen, but later, I fell for him. (By the way, he has just had a child with his wife Elsa Pataky. The baby must be so beautiful, with such parents! Congrats, Chris!)


Charlize was the most evil villain of history (maybe Voldemort beats her, but still). On her youth periods, she was so beautiful! At her wedding, her long blonde hair was amazing. She might have to go to some anger management classes. The times when she got angry- there were a lot- she screamed and opened her eyes so much I feared they would pop out. The way she killed people by putting her hand close to their heart and squeezing was very cool, I loved it. She played the bad-person part incredibly well.

I liked the movie, and I recommend it to you if you liked 'Red Riding Hood' (with Amanda Seyfried) or maybe Twilight. Or if you simply like retellings, then it's for you too.
Piece of advice: if you watch it at the cinema don't buy the big drink, it's nearly two hours long.
Rating: ***+ (3.5 Stars)

TRAILER:

1 comment:

  1. Great! This seems to be a good rating. I can add it to the watch list because my kids are about to finish all the series by Andy Yeatman on Netflix. The vacation is also around the corner and I really want them to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete